The Raphxis of Evil

Dec 22 2009

Right off the bat, the title should give you a hint that you might want to take this one with a grain of salt. Or several.

That said, despite regularly producing some of the most original, creative, highest quality work in the cycling world for the past four years, there’s a fair amount of respect I’m not getting. I don’t think there’s anyone out there doing what I do or even coming close to it—certainly not the people collecting redirects from the parties targeted above.

So I think it’s time to start aggressively calling out the the motivations behind this industry’s self-appointed arbiters of good taste. My last naming of names got a fairly good response—and, really, what do I have to lose? The respect referrals I’m already not receiving?

Of course, the suggestion of an “axis of evil” in the cycling industry is obviously and intentionally bombastic, so if you find yourself on the receiving end of this, just consider it a friendly nudge—but one that leads with an elbow nonetheless.

12 Responses to “The Raphxis of Evil”

1. Colin R 22 December 2009 at 1:28 pm #

Oh Cosmo, if think you’re confusing “referrals from corporate entities” with “respect.”

2. Anonymous 22 December 2009 at 1:31 pm #

I think you’ve exposed a Circle Jerk rather than an Axis of Evil.

3. Anonymous 22 December 2009 at 1:55 pm #

For a second I thought you were going to say the textiles were being made by Islamic fundamentalist and a fine network of “corporations” was hiding this and producing Cycling apparel………then I realized what was going, LOL. I’ll stick to my Assos even though I am not a fan of the Suisse nuetrality/aka no moral back bone, as long as money is to be made.

4. cosmo 22 December 2009 at 2:41 pm #

@Colin R – fixed.

5. Andrew J. Bernstein 22 December 2009 at 3:32 pm #

Oh, come on! As an independent blogger/Embrocation contributor, I can assure you that we are not ALL down with the Rapha.

6. La Gazzetta Della Bici 22 December 2009 at 5:18 pm #

Whats wrong no one turn up at your party!

7. cosmo 22 December 2009 at 6:38 pm #

@Andrew J. Bernstein – it’s true, calling out all of Embro is a wider brush than I like to use.

That said, here’s the work of another “independent” contributor, describing Rapha’s $80 handkerchief (boldface as written):

Incredibly light and smooth, this scarf is like a cloud of feathery air that feels like a million soft kisses when the wind presses it against your skin. And while Rapha might be a gentleman’s club, we’re not talking the kisses that come from masculine lips with accompanying sandpaper-y stubble. We’re talking sexy, full, soft, feminine lips. The kind every girl should have.”

-[source]

I think my generalization can be forgiven.

8. Adventure Gril 23 December 2009 at 6:24 pm #

Sorry, I have to skip over to Rapha, Embro and Competitive Cyclist websites and check out this $80 “Incredibly light and smooth, … scarf [that] is like a cloud of feathery air that feels like a million soft kisses when the wind presses it against your skin”.

9. kkhart 24 December 2009 at 2:27 pm #

Don’t fret Cosmo, you know we love you best. Those others just don’t understand a quality blog.

There now, don’t you feel better?

10. Craig Gaulzetti 27 December 2009 at 2:58 pm #

doood-
    i wouldn’t wear rapha to a gay bar; and i’m an effete lyrical elitist who can wax eloquently about the beauty of a 3am calisthenics routine and the sublime nature of a bloody nose caused by a well placed elbow.

don’t hate the player cosmo. my respect is much deserved in the sordid circles i inhabit.

now the fact that for 2010 embrocation, competitive cyclist, cicli gaulzetti and international bicycle centers all endorse giordana custom team apparel should have you worried. giorgio andretta is the man with a posse.

11. MT 29 December 2009 at 10:44 am #

You need to add the ridiculous worship of Richard Sachs and his artisan bikes. He, Gaulzetti, the insufferable Swoop and a few others form a laughable mutual admiration society.

12. RMM 5 January 2010 at 8:34 am #

This made me laugh.

1. Cyclocosm – Pro Cycling Blog » The Worst of Cycling 2009 - 30 December 2009

[...] of reader who needs to suckle at the teat of repetition. If so, you were no doubt rejoicing (though not especially surprised) to find that same image-thieving, underwritten, over-exclamation-pointed blog mentioned in both [...]

2. Great Brand Apparel photos | China Clothing - 17 September 2011

[...] The Raphxis of Evil Image by cosmocatalano Read all about it: cyclocosm.com/2009/12/the-raphxis-of-evil/. [...]

3. The Raphxis of Evil | Person Of Pinterest - 11 May 2014