How The Race Was Won – Omloop Het Niewsblad 2010

Feb 28 2010

Yes! It’s bike season again! Here’s Omloop Het Nieuwsblad, half of the Belgian season’s opening weekend, run in some unseasonably nice weather over various cobbles and bergs, and featuring an inordinately large number of mechanical problems.

[right-click for iTunes-compatible download]

Contains a photo from Jeff Jones’ Cyclingnews days, and footage from Sporza.be.

Be sure to check out the rest of the videos, either here, the iTunes store, on Vimeo or on YouTube. I’ve also got footage from today’s KBK event, which should be making an appearance later in the week.

13 Responses to “How The Race Was Won – Omloop Het Niewsblad 2010”

1. Frank 28 February 2010 at 11:23 pm #

Well done, Cosmo! I always enjoy your wrap-ups.

2. Phil 1 March 2010 at 12:14 am #

Nicely put together. BTW, Tom Boonen’s name is pronounced “bone-in” not “boon” as in “moon”. The double O in dutch is a long o.

3. b 1 March 2010 at 5:56 am #

Great summary as always. :-)

4. k 1 March 2010 at 9:17 am #

better coverage than in any sports newscast :)

5. Sebastian 1 March 2010 at 9:42 am #

Awesome recap as usual — and nice to see that door Flecha’s been knocking on finally open!

6. cgb 1 March 2010 at 11:10 am #

Also, teams split their attentions across the two days. Sunday’s KBK is as much of a consideration in race tactics in Saturday’s event as if they were really just part of the GC in some overall.
    Plus, the larger significance is that this marks the beginning of a month of racing in Belgium that culminates this year on April 4th, which is the world championship of the world.

7. Erik 1 March 2010 at 11:24 pm #

When I opened up the page I was excited to see the first of this year’s “How the race was won”! I hope to see many more installments. I didn’t know a damn thing about cycling until I started viewing these webisodes. You do a fantastic job.

I predict Haussler wins G-W or Flanders this year. What do you think?

8. Karl 2 March 2010 at 7:45 am #

I’d like to see the numbers from Haussler’s PT.

Glad to have HTRWW back!

9. EDnl 2 March 2010 at 1:10 pm #

Good summary. I enjoyed that. Yeah, neutral support was disgracefully absent.

10. christophe 2 March 2010 at 10:07 pm #

Cosmo 1, Versus 0

It’s gonna be a lopsided year…

11. cosmo 4 March 2010 at 9:21 am #

@Karl – what blows my mind is that Haussler attacked solo at the end of the race, went hard enough for the camera moto to film between him and the field at 2k to go, then won the bunch sprint for second. How is that possible!?

@christophe – I appreciate the support, but it’s good to keep in mind that VS does manage to bring bike racing to US television. As much as I’ve ranted about it, they do a pretty good job with an economically unfavorable proposition.

12. Ron 17 May 2010 at 1:57 pm #

I love ‘non network’ coverage like this because the commentary is so refreshing. Not the same old ‘guarded’ comments.

13. ugg slippers wholesale 29 August 2011 at 5:09 am #

Good day! I just want to give a huge thumbs up for the good data you’ve right here on this post. I will probably be coming again to your weblog for more soon.

1. Cyclocosm – Pro Cycling Blog » Is It Time To Update The Opening Weekend? - 12 October 2011

[…] Stuff! « How The Race Was Won – Omloop Het Niewsblad 2010Politics Between The Races […]