How The Race Was Won – Amstel Gold 2010

Apr 19 2010

I’ve got to admit, after almost a decade, this business of Amstel Gold finishing on the Cauberg is starting to grow on me. A relaxed early tempo gives way to all sorts of fun attacks and just a bit of tactical resilience in the closing kilometers. And while I have a horrible feeling that we may have just traded one one-day tyrant for another, it was exciting to see someone other than Fabian Cancellara take a win.

[right-click for iTunes-compatible download]

(Contains many photos most of which are licensed for free use, and footage from NOS Sport.)

9 Responses to “How The Race Was Won – Amstel Gold 2010”

1. Al April 19, 2010 at 10:06 am #

Another great report, Cosmo.

Is it just me, or is Sergei Ivanov turning into a big time breakaway threat? I’m still impressed by his stage win in the Tour last year – you know, the “Hincapie got robbed” stage? It’s nice to see a real headbanger leave it all on the road like that.

2. bbypy April 19, 2010 at 12:47 pm #

For us nostalgia buffs, would you consider HTRWW for old classics like the 87 or 89 worlds?

3. Ken Y. April 19, 2010 at 1:46 pm #

Wonderful job, as usual. Thanks for taking the time to produce these videos!

4. Ben P April 19, 2010 at 4:16 pm #

Ya Ryder Go Canada!!!

5. Chip April 19, 2010 at 7:15 pm #

Excellent! Love the literary – and more often than not funny – flourishes that imbue your commentary. If you learn to do this extemporaneously, Cosmo, you could be the next Phil Liggett! I always look forward to the HTRWW, and appreciate your time and effort.

6. il Professore April 19, 2010 at 8:59 pm #

Once again, impressive job man.

Volcano or no, good race this year.

7. James Jordan April 20, 2010 at 1:36 am #

Mate

your commentary nearly got me into the deepest trouble at work. :)

Between your comments on Boonen missing the break at PR and your latest effort had me siniggering under my breath when I should have been working.

Keep up the good work.

8. Psychlist April 26, 2010 at 3:07 am #

Thanks Cosmo, well put together once again.

(My understanding is that Jacob Fuglsang’s surname is
    pronounced “Fool-sang”.)

1. Review: Specialized S-Works Helmet | Supplesse - August 4, 2011

[...] over his competitors’ helmets, that Phillippe Gilbert lept away on the Cauberg to win Amstel Gold 2010. He dropped everyone with ease, and relegated Ryder Hesjedal to a distant [...]