How The Race Was Won – Stage 15 – 2009 Tour de France

Jul 19 2009

Finally! Back to GC action and Contador delivers. It certainly wasn’t a knockout blow, though. I’ll have plenty to say about this tomorrow, but for the time being, I’ll let the video do the talking. It’s also up on YouTube, but let’s try not to tell the ASO about it this time, yeah?

[right-click for iTunes compatible download]

17 Responses to “How The Race Was Won – Stage 15 – 2009 Tour de France”

1. Ryan July 19, 2009 at 8:00 pm #

“Unbearably lame” is right!

2. Al July 19, 2009 at 8:47 pm #

Nice job.

3. roomservicetaco July 19, 2009 at 9:53 pm #

Thanks for calling out Lance for closing the gap to Contador. I also question why he and Kloden were at the head of the chase group. Lance was and has been riding for himself, but drapes himself in the “team first” flag and no one on the broadcasts or in the major cycling media calls him on it.

4. Chester Newton July 19, 2009 at 10:17 pm #

Come on Cadel. You can do it! Lance, Alberto and the rest are proven doppers. (added by Mobile using Mippin)

5. luc July 19, 2009 at 11:01 pm #

HTRWW?

The previous record for the climbing of the Verbier was 23 minutes flush by Kim Kirchen in last year’s TdS.

On my clock, A+ Contador finished in 20:47:02.
    That is around 460-470 watts ;-))))))))))))))))

luc

6. Chris E July 19, 2009 at 11:14 pm #

Hi my first post here, enjoy your videos and site its a great insight into the top end of cycling for those of us down here in Australia where the coverage of cycling is so sparse and undeniably Australian focused. Now I know what happened to split the field at the start of the climb after the local broadcaster went to 2mins worth of ads at the 8km to go mark.

After watching Contador climb today I just don’t see how anyone can beat him. He just accelerates up a climb so fast and no one can come close to matching that. Hope someone (Andy Schleck?) can step up and try and match him over the next week.

7. saxo bank July 20, 2009 at 1:11 am #

good vid. i’m a big andy shleck fan and hope he can pull through, but i just don’t see anyone beating contador. it was all fun to watch regardless.

on a side note, i agree with the observation that there is definitely a double standard when it comes to sir lance. boo…

8. The Barb July 20, 2009 at 1:47 am #

Another great video presentation and analysis as always.

9. Sheriff July 20, 2009 at 2:55 am #

brilliant vid mate i noticed contador gave the look to andy before he went but i reckon he wanted to give it to lance lol anyway brilliant vid mate i just think contador is brilliant when the road tilts up but as proven by the 15th stage if anyone can beat him its not evans but instead is Schleck but sastre might do something special soon watch him

10. rainbow July 20, 2009 at 4:13 am #

Top 10 reasons why LA chased and closed on Alberto Contador when Frank Schleck attacked…

10. I was being the faithful domestic and bringing a biddon up.
    9. Its lonely on the road out there and I didn’t want to be alone at that moment.
    8. I was covering Andy behind me.
    7. It was not part of the plan we talked about this morning, he was going to go At 4 Km’s to go and that was 5.55678km
    6. Johann ordered me up!
    5 I had to go in case he had a mechanical, and I didn’t want the neutral service team to do another Voight
    4. It’s clear he’s the leader , and you can’t be a leader unless someone follows.
    3. We were in Switzerland which is a neutral country, so “when in Rome… ” and I neutralised the attack.
    2. I said we’d let the road decide, and that was not the bit of road I had in mind.
    1. When he turned and look back I swear I heard him cry for help! Or Hell, or Hola, I wasn’t sure so I needed clarification.

11. Sheriff July 20, 2009 at 6:40 am #

haha those reasons are hilarious good post rainbow

12. laineyme July 20, 2009 at 6:46 am #

Rainbow you crake me up! Best giggle I have had for days

13. Ted July 20, 2009 at 8:10 am #

Good ‘un.

14. Lauren G. July 20, 2009 at 11:22 am #

“More last placer-er.” Classic.
    Thanks Cosmo. This was great. Just what i was looking for in a recap.

15. Sophrosune July 20, 2009 at 4:51 pm #

Great vid, Cosmo. Brilliant post, Rainbow.

16. Bike McCall July 20, 2009 at 5:38 pm #

Mocking Contador’s pistola salute made my week. Man it’s tired. Makes me long for Sastre’s “rock the baby binky salute” again. Well okay, no. It too was unbearably lame. But I’ve only had to see it once.

17. b July 20, 2009 at 7:01 pm #

Great video Cosmo – I hadn’t spotted where Andy pulled out of his pedal.

In the few seconds before Contador went, he gave the look to everyone in that group – including LA.