How The Race Was Won – 2009 Vuelta A Espana, Stage 13

Sep 13 2009

A tactical and strategic day, as a long breakaway searches for KOM points, while Liquigas attempts to thin the field. Teamwork plays a major role, saving some GC contenders from elimination, and taking a major chunk out of the hopes of others. Plus sloppy bike changes, muppet-waving spectators, a slippery bottle hand-off and more.

[right-click for iTunes compatible download]

Also available on YouTube.

10 Responses to “How The Race Was Won – 2009 Vuelta A Espana, Stage 13”

1. Nickel 13 September 2009 at 3:46 pm #

Cosmo gets it right again – thanks, I’ve missed these vids!

2. John 13 September 2009 at 4:18 pm #

Feel really bad for Cadel evans, if it wasnt for that disaster hed be sitting in 2nd with only 15 seconds or so behind valverde and evans can probably get that on a decent length time trial

3. Jack Daniels 13 September 2009 at 5:35 pm #

Come on Cosmo, you can talk faster than that. The video is good, but the way you talk makes me sleepy!

4. Al 13 September 2009 at 8:30 pm #

Another great jorb. Hope you get over that cold soon.

5. Psychlist 14 September 2009 at 6:48 am #

I enjoyed that. Thanks.

Just on Evans…on his website he talked about the ‘imbeciles’ on the neutral Shimano service who couldn’t change his wheel.

I understand him being pissed, but Evans is not exactly endearing himself to quicker changes in the future is he?

The professional cycling community is too small to go around making enemies of people.

6. cosmo 14 September 2009 at 8:54 am #

@Psychlist, I’ve been wondering about the Shimano service guys since The ’05 Wevelgem, when Nico Mattan came through Juan Antonio Flecha suspiciously quickly, and with a near-inexplicable amount of speed after possibly receiving a tow from the Shimano “neutral” service car.

Turns out, the same guy also made a mess of the ’06 Dwaars. It really makes me think the service teams are just local knuckleheads with some tenuous Shimano affiliation—dealers, well-liked ex-racers, etc., rather than a crack squad of expert wrenches who follow pro bike racing around Europe.

@Al, it’s not a cold. I had to do a lot of filtering on the audio because my refrigerator was unusually loud on Saturday.

@Jack Daniels, are you being sarcastic? Generally the complaint is I talk too fast. I’ll try to pick it up a bit in the next video—hopefully reducing the audio filtering will make my diction more clear.

7. John 14 September 2009 at 11:33 am #

while cadel evans is a bit of an ass, for some reason i just have to cheer for the guy

if he gets 45-50 seconds on valverde in the TT, then this whole vuelta could be a joke for this one incident, although i doubt he will since valverde can TT, on another note,

go Canada for ryder winning his stage up in the mountains

8. Jack Daniels 14 September 2009 at 12:17 pm #

No cosmo, I’m not sarcastic about it. Well, I don’t mind you talking fast in your videos, but I guess kinered (who wrote that comment on youtube) actually has a point. Sorry, my bad.

9. Tommy 14 September 2009 at 1:24 pm #

I had heard that the neutral service vehicle was unsure whether he had an 11 or 10 speed cassette—-couldn’t Cadel have made that a lot easier for them by telling them which he required?
    I don’t put this all on them—Mr. Whiny Aussie should communicate a little better, rather than just crying about the neutral service team.

10. Anthony 12 July 2011 at 7:42 am #

Evans was robbed. Conspirational. 9 days into the Tour ’11- say nothing!