The Luckiest Man in the Peloton

Jun 25 2010

I’ve been doing a little video work on some sprinting footage ahead of the Tour de France. I’ve looked through the Cavendish crash more times than I care to remember, but I still cannot get over the break Juan Antonio Flecha catches as the race just dissolves in front of him.

Here’s a quick video analysis to brighten up your Friday:

(right-click for iTunes download, tap for iPod/iPhone/iPad)

21 Responses to “The Luckiest Man in the Peloton”

1. Frank June 25, 2010 at 1:59 pm #

Nice catch! I had completely missed that.

2. Timothy Day June 25, 2010 at 2:05 pm #

Good call, Cosmo!

3. j June 25, 2010 at 2:17 pm #

Looking a bit closer, doesn’t it seem like Cav’s front wheel snaps just before coming down? I mean, it’s likely that is what provoked the crash. Of course everything is broken after the crash, so it might have gone unnoticed to many.

4. Don June 25, 2010 at 2:45 pm #

Clearly I’m out of the loop, because I thought Flecha was still with Rabobank. That’s why I kept my eyes on the Rabobank rider (far right of the screen at 0:38, far left in the bird’s-eye at 0:42) who also earned some admiration. He may not have been lucky enough to get around the crash, but it’s pretty fun watching him lock up the rear wheel while body-englishing away from bodies and bikes on the left side of the road. Any idea who that was?

5. onlyontuesdays June 25, 2010 at 2:57 pm #

The generous helping hands of the cycling Gods… Doubtful
    Seasoned skills of a talented professional cyclist…. May be
    Keeping you’re head up and not being next to Cav…Helpful
    Off season Ninja Skills and Bear Wrestling classes….Definatly without a doubt!

6. EDnl June 25, 2010 at 2:59 pm #

First Rabobank man was Óscar Freire.

7. chris June 25, 2010 at 3:38 pm #

Is it just me, or that finish crazy narrow for a field sprint? What is this, the Giro?!

8. Erik June 25, 2010 at 4:17 pm #

That did brighten my Friday. Thanks.

9. Bryan June 25, 2010 at 7:15 pm #

I’ve never seen an arrow fly like that.

10. Philonius June 25, 2010 at 8:10 pm #

Check out this picture:
    it clearly appears that Haussler’s wheel impacts and puts the taco to Cav’s front wheel. Smackdown city.

11. Arjan Hulsebos June 26, 2010 at 2:16 pm #

I hadn’t caught that, either, but come to think of it, I’m sure that if Flecha was still sporting the Rabo colors, he’d be somewhere on the bottom of the pile-up. After switching teams, he suddenly has the breaks going his way. Finally.

12. Chris Little June 27, 2010 at 8:15 am #

Flecha was the only thing I watched when this video first did the rounds. It’s still hard to believe.

13. Skippy June 28, 2010 at 2:49 am #

Looking forward to seeing Jaffa at TDF ! Hope his luck continues to hold up.

14. rainbow June 28, 2010 at 5:59 am #

Luck had noting to do with it, if you rely on luck, you’ll go down every time. It sure looked liked chaos and string theory unravelling behind when Flecha looked back , but mostly it was intuitive skill unknown to the conscious mind, exhibited randomly to create one’s own skin saving moment.
    Luck is what happened to Boonan, he had enough luck to run over the Cavendouche, and he must savour the brief pleasure of squashing ones nemesis whilst he misses out on the three weeks of the biggest event of the year watching the dirt mouth blow off stage after stage.
    Haussler had bad luck, noting intuitive could save him there, he just has to live with the disappointment of not smashing The douche and listen to him reiterate that he’s the fastest sprinter on the planet and no one should challenge him cos they’ll go down.
    “Hate the Douche”

15. Arjan Hulsebos June 29, 2010 at 5:16 am #

“Cavendouche”, nice one. I don’t like him, either. Even to British standards, he’s pretty arrogant. And I do think he caused all the mayhem.

16. Gareth June 29, 2010 at 9:25 am #

As per Don, I thought Freire did an awesome job of staying upright.

17. Osteo July 6, 2011 at 2:20 am #

Nice interpretation. That crash screwed Haussler up big time. See how hard his head hit the bitumen!?

18. cyclingsky September 6, 2011 at 3:05 am #

Cycling has gotten increasing popularity, the importance of
    suitable cycling clothing has become clearly. A quality pro cycling jersey for cycling is critical for casual and regular riders.

19. Hanswurst November 1, 2013 at 11:16 am #

definitely the luckiest man in the peloton

1. Juan Antonio Flecha, luckiest man in the Peleton – Bunch Riding - June 25, 2010

[...] http://cyclocosm.com/2010/06/the-luckiest-man-in-the-peloton/ [...]

2. It’s been a long time | Musette Musings - June 26, 2010

[...] action if it is true.  Anyway, one further thing of note re: the crash was this video from the cyclocosm blog, which to my eyes is an amazing piece of dedicated journalism.  How many times must that clip have [...]