How The Race Was Won – Giro di Lombardia 2013

Oct 9 2013

[iPad/iPhone/m4v if the embed doesn't work]

I don’t like to do produce these things “late”—but then again, I don’t have complete control over my own work schedule, either. And to be entirely honest, the 2013 edition wasn’t exactly a race for the ages.

Still, it’s a “monument” (though I’ve never been clear on the root of that particular distinction) and not without its moments. But above all else, I’m just trying to finish strong as the season wraps up, following some day-job induced interruptions in August and September.

7 Responses to “How The Race Was Won – Giro di Lombardia 2013”

1. cgb October 9, 2013 at 10:58 am #

Perhaps Moreno cut the line on the roundabout

2. roadslave525 October 9, 2013 at 12:13 pm #

Cosmo, Thanks for doing all of the HTRWW this season (and t’other seasons, but I’m late to the party)… incisive wit, great analysis, insight into the peloton that we normal cycle fans wouldn’t see. My particular highlight was Paris-Roubaix this year (LOVES me some 80′s synth… and the brutality of getting/holding Cancellara’s wheel on pave), but they’ve all been excellent. God knows how you find the time, particularly with a day job too, but thank you, thank you, thank you. Who cares about the Tour Down Under, etc…. look forward to seeing you in late March / Early April next year for all the (semi-)classics HTRWW’s

3. Toestrap October 10, 2013 at 4:07 am #

Slide of the year by Potsivvvvvoooooo

4. Netserk October 10, 2013 at 5:19 am #

Why isn’t there any pictures from the Muro? :(

5. Chris Little October 10, 2013 at 5:51 am #

I suspect the absence of falling leaves is only a problem in English. I know no Italian, but the name looks like ‘dead foliage/leaves’ to me.

At least there were some falling riders.

6. Anon October 10, 2013 at 6:55 am #

I had to do it. Loving the HTRWW, all of them!

7. john October 11, 2013 at 9:29 pm #

I believe they are called monuments because these races occurred in the areas on or next to significant battles of WW1. Although many of the races began before 1914 they started up again almost immediately after the cessation of hostilities . You can imagion the normalisation effect of the sporting event as it travelled through the devestated countryside where millions had died only a few months before.