The Week in Bike #21 -23 May 2014

May 23 2014

Beard, Wiggins, Degenkolb, #aeroiseverything, Wild, Chongming Island, Wiggle-Honda, Mondialization, http://iamtedking.com, http://www.cutaway.us, US contribution to the sport, media abuse of the US market, Tour of California, tech.

11 Responses to “The Week in Bike #21 -23 May 2014”

1. Craig MacIntyre May 23, 2014 at 3:27 pm #

But Cosmo … BEIN Sports actually has the best race coverage of the stations that show bike racing. It is HD, the commentary is significantly better and relevant and the coverage is significant (ie: more than 30 minutes of racing). I have BEIN for the football coverage but seeing the Giro on it this year has me giddy and my wife not so much …

2. CarnSoaks May 23, 2014 at 3:29 pm #

tx Cosmo. needed something to digest! No decent daily pre-work vids to watch, sobsob. Tx to Base79. What a lovely picture they paint on their website. A future to be proud of. They’ll grow in size, buy shares!
    Phonly OGE would post regularly.

• Steve May 23, 2014 at 4:34 pm #

Cosmo, agree with your commentary about Giro video but I found the AToC camera work also worthy of critique as well. Watching online or on cable, the feed was constantly locking up, breaking up or re-imaging and the camera angles missed a lot of the moves and a couple of the finishes. Seemed second rate compared to what I see coming from BBC and TdF. I found it near unwatchable. California is supposed to be the entertainment capitol of the world and they can’t do live TV on par with that coming out of the south of France? And, can we please have some American announcers (or retire Paul and Phil) and get CVdV some coffee or whatever he used to take for races to perk him up a bit?

3. dylan May 23, 2014 at 4:37 pm #

In all fairness, Bein Sport’s coverage of the Giro is really good. I remember last year being more entertained with their commentary on a day when there was no live feed due to weather than with anything coming from the ToC. When judged between the Giro coverage from that channel vs. a stateside race with the kind of all meanderers (yes Phil and Paul)giving useless factoids during liveshoot freezes the additional $20 for dish network does seem like such a bad thing afterall

4. Mattw May 23, 2014 at 7:21 pm #

technically you can call Sky another US company (or at least US owned)….

• dylan May 23, 2014 at 9:39 pm #

fair point.

5. JP May 23, 2014 at 9:30 pm #

I’m not going to jump through hoops (pay more money and tunnel through a VPN) to watch the Giro. Long Live the TOC. Great segment today.

6. Not Tom May 24, 2014 at 12:26 am #

Copyright angst! That is my favorite rant topic. I’m not even kidding, it really is! MOAR ANGST, PLZ!

7. BenDE May 24, 2014 at 5:12 am #

Guys, he wasn’t saying the coverage was bad, just their marketing of it. Which it is!

Cosmo, a sincere thanks for the continued attention you bring to women’s cycling. After that clip from the car I just want to see what happens! Unfortunately, I don’t – due to all the reasons you have stated in the past.

8. CarnSoaks May 29, 2014 at 6:31 pm #

Penny Farthings at fondo’s. Latest at steephill https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGGiN7O1s1w
    SKILLS @ 255.
    Would love to see a fan site mod project to “modernise” a PF to include “Crank thru geared HUB” Frnt Wheel. Slip diff & disc brake would make it ride-able anywhere, even if removing the “charm”
    I could see myself ditching the Road Bike on the didaily commute for something of this ilk. Talk about stares!

1. The Week in Bike #21 -23 May 2014 | Cycling Feeds - May 23, 2014