How The Race Was Won – Giro d'Italia 2014 – Stages 16-21

Jun 3 2014

Quintana confirms on a legendary day, a whole lot of breakaways hold out, and someone may be a little fond of forcing people to ride bikes uphill.
Music: https://soundcloud.com/mechanikproject/trap-o-fortuna

[iPad/iPhone/m4v]

9 Responses to “How The Race Was Won – Giro d'Italia 2014 – Stages 16-21”

1. Gary 4 June 2014 at 12:11 am #

It’s a wrap! Thank you. Vimeo actually makes it easier for me to watch these in “HD” as, unlike with youtube, the whole video can load sparing me bufferings on my slow conection.

• Cosmo Catalano 4 June 2014 at 1:18 am #

I actually prefer Vimeo as well. But I need eyeballs and YouTube has those in spades.

• Kyle V. 13 June 2014 at 7:18 pm #

unfortunately there is no vimeo app on our smart tv so youtube is preferred.

2. Ian 4 June 2014 at 12:33 am #

Great recap as always, thank you Cosmo. Did you see Wout Poels yank that guy’s sunglasses off on Zoncolan? I was hoping you’d comment on that.

• Cosmo Catalano 4 June 2014 at 1:22 am #

I did that that! I thought it was pretty wild but couldn’t really find a way to work it into the action. Wonder if there’s any backstory there—in addition to the murderously steep incline, the narrowness and low speeds on Zoncolon really up the hazard on fan interaction.

• Matt 4 June 2014 at 4:22 pm #

I think he simply snapped. He rode the entire day, he was going up one of the steepest climbs in pro cycling, his legs probably already burned and he was looking forward to the finish of that stage. And then some idiot is running along, obstructing him and just being annoying.

Also that weather trouble with the Giro, horribly rainy days like last year, snowy conditions in the Alps, makes me wonder if it wouldn’t be smarter to have the Vuelta in May and the Giro in August/September. From a weather perspective Spain probably has less trouble in May. Then again, that would require change. And it’s the UCI calendar, they don’t change one bit of it.

3. Wheelsuker 4 June 2014 at 1:40 am #

Very well done, as usual. I will show this to people at work to show what badasses Lycra clad skinny men can be. Keep it up and good luck on the day job!

4. Timojhen 5 June 2014 at 12:18 am #

Great work as usual. I’m good with some ad load to keep things going. Or donations.

5. ShortsNL 5 June 2014 at 9:42 am #

Perfect pronunciation of Wout Poels! Thanks!