There was a great example in Fleche Wallonne this Wednesday of proper bottle handoff technique. As most of you probably know, it’s far more complicated than simply passing a bottle through a window. Why waste all that gasoline keeping the car moving forward when you could just as easily use it to accelerate your riders?
[right-click for iTunes-compatible download—Flash embed after the break]
- Observe DS extending bottle out the window
- Extend arm out, with thumb facing down
- Wait for DS to shove bottle into hand
- Upon contact, brace for acceleration
- Grasp bottle and push off against DS’s hand
- Place bottle in pocket/down shirt
- Return to step one
And of course, the DS moshes the gas and goes for broke on the last bottle.
thoughts on “Bottle Handoff Technique”
I always love watching the way the driver guns the car straight at the back of the Commissaire’s car leaving braking to the last possible minute. Must be a scary scene out the back of the red car…