The Week in Bike #41 – 24 October 2014

Oct 24 2014

Tour fashion police, Lennie Briscoe, 2015 Tour Route, Chris Froome, Vinokourov, transparency, Nibali, talking points, www.ninox.cc, Japan Cup, World Cup Valkenburg, electronic shifting, USA Cycling, Hincapie, Armstrong, fondos, crime, punishment, authority, enforcement.

18 Responses to “The Week in Bike #41 – 24 October 2014”

1. Doug 24 October 2014 at 2:15 pm #

How do we become a t-shirt sponsor.

• cosmo 24 October 2014 at 2:31 pm #

Send me an email at cosmo@cyclocosm.com. My apologies if you have already—if so, send another. I’ve been really behind on the business dev side recently.

2. RM2Ride 24 October 2014 at 7:38 pm #

Cosmo – Don’t ever stop. Please. TWIB is the icing on the cake that is Friday. Oh yeah, and HTRWR is far and away the most insightful race coverage out there (at least in American English…).

3. Jerome 24 October 2014 at 8:36 pm #

I’m getting a bad video-audio lag viewing on iphone.

• Toestrap 25 October 2014 at 2:58 am #

Yeah me too ( on iPad ). Lag gets worse as vid progresses.

• cosmo 25 October 2014 at 10:16 am #

Ah, bummer—thanks for the heads-up. I’ll look into it.

4. Larry T. 25 October 2014 at 3:09 am #

Great job! Loved the Law and Order stuff. Hope they don’t sue you.

• cosmo 25 October 2014 at 10:19 am #

Ha—well, getting sued per se wasn’t ever an issue. I think it’d be pretty clear to any rightsholder that suing me wouldn’t be worth the time and money (and they might even loose!). The issue on YouTube was always their in-house Kangaroo Court; makes it much, much easier for Big, Important Companies to push scrubs like me around, whether its justified or not.

5. Dave King 25 October 2014 at 10:25 pm #

Love the Law and Order bits! Can you do one based around The Wire? Or would not enough people get that? OK, then, Breaking Bad or The X-Files.

6. John 26 October 2014 at 5:31 am #

Love the segment, but have to disagree on the Lance bit. You can’t stop someone from participating in a “fun ride”. It’s not a race. There are no prizes. You can take away the man’s right to race (and deservedly so), but you can’t take away his right to ride his bike for enjoyment.

• cosmo 26 October 2014 at 11:17 am #

That’s kinda how I see it, too, but it’s not what USAC’s rules say. They need to figure out how to enforce them or stop sanctioning non-competitive events.

Also, some Fondos are debatably races. There are timed segments and a National Rankings Series, to which in the Hincapie Fondo is contributing results. It’s weird but true.

7. Andrew 26 October 2014 at 5:13 pm #

This was a solid TWIB this…ah…week. Great job.

8. james 27 October 2014 at 12:10 am #

Cosmo, as my History teacher would say “You’ve hit the nail.. BOOOIINNNGGGG.. on the head!” yet again.

9. Seneb 30 October 2014 at 3:58 pm #

HOLY HELL. $150 for a Ninox hoodie??? Hipster bait.

10. batchuba 1 November 2014 at 8:28 pm #

I hope you got well paid for reciting that plug, because it took years off my life.

The show was gold as always: I’m delighted you are finally getting paid for the only good anglophone cycling coverage in existence, watch the ads with pleasure in that light, and even google your t-shirt sponsors religiously.

But I must bleat: that meticulously recited jingle stuff makes any non American want to bomb the nearest American embassy immediately. And I’m only half joking. As cultural offensiveness goes, its roughly on a par with beating a puppy to death with your penis while chanting “USA, catch the fever!”.

It doesn’t exist in European sports coverage for the simple reason that under no circumstances can we tolerate such degradation and insincerity, regardless of the collapse of all else about us. I suppose its a 20th century foible we are clinging onto, but that knowledge doesn’t lessen the horror.

Well, I guess your main audience is American, and so inured to such awful things; and its almost worth it if guarantees regular cyclocosm awesomeness to come. But wow was that hard to stomach. I don’t know if I can sit through that shit every week.

This furious rant was brought to you by Harley Davidson: The Harley Davidson of Motorcycles. Until you’ve been on a Harley, you haven’t been on a Davidson.

• cosmo 4 November 2014 at 11:16 am #

Last time I checked, most American sports didn’t have the club’s title sponsors scrawled across the chest of the uniform. Commerce is a hardly a national phenomenon.

And if you’d like to not hear sponsor plugs, you’d have to pay me directly for episodes. Maybe that’s something I’ll work on setting up this winter.

• batchuba 25 November 2014 at 9:57 am #

Don’t mind me.

Occasionally my desire to talk about cycling is overwhelmed by my need to free the lumpen proletariat from bondage to Kulak profiteers and whatnot.

Especially after beer.