How The Season Was Won 2014

Nov 25 2014

Obviously, specialization makes it tough to pick a “best” rider these days. So if I’m going to do it, it’s going to be a comprehensive approach. You can’t just look at who won the most competitive Grand Tour of the year and call it a day. Here’s how I see the competition, and who I see coming out on top this year.

23 Responses to “How The Season Was Won 2014”

1. Richard 25 November 2014 at 10:08 am #

I really want to watch this, but can’t get past the ad. Always is black and stops at 4 seconds left…. I have heard it and clicked on it enough to get some ad dollars….. er cent

• dfitzger 25 November 2014 at 6:16 pm #

I’m having the same issue, using Firefox on OS X

2. bryan 25 November 2014 at 10:16 am #

Adam Hansen is all class & was indeed spectacular this season – awesome choice of a most deserving racer and cycling sport advocate. Chapeau!

3. Philip Kelley 25 November 2014 at 1:26 pm #

Hey Cosmo:

I wonder if I’m the only one having this problem. Advert before the new HTSWW video freezes up at 5 seconds to go countdown and the feature won’t load.

Love you long time.

Phil

4. Bilko 25 November 2014 at 1:28 pm #

Doesn’t play in Safari?

• Steve 26 November 2014 at 12:31 am #

Works fine in safari for me.

• Steve 26 November 2014 at 12:41 am #

Great stuff Cosmo, unemployment suits you! How about a retro HTRWW or two next? Roubaix 2001 maybe?

5. Spinordie 25 November 2014 at 1:44 pm #

Love your HTRWW’s! Nice cap to a great season!

6. Bertilak 25 November 2014 at 5:38 pm #

Fan of the series, and enjoyed watching this, but… what’s with all the emphasis on beer? Maybe it’s an American thing, but for me it comes across as a bit immature/irrelevant. Is this really what sets riders apart now?

If we’re talking about being ambassadors for the sport, I’d put my vote on the riders who emphasized important issues outside of cycling — maybe those that helped with charities, or… I remember the Ukrainian rider talking about the conflict at home, which I found touching. The first Chinese to finish the Tour — that’s something that might be inspiring for millions of people. I feel we undervalue the importance of good citizenship in cycling.

And if we’re just talking about performance, why no mention of Valverde? I’m not a fan of past dopers, but you can’t deny the consistency.

7. robert 25 November 2014 at 6:07 pm #

so so good.

you win the commentary season.

8. Philip Kelley 25 November 2014 at 7:55 pm #

Freezes in Chrome too.

• Harris From The Post 26 November 2014 at 9:27 am #

Same here, freezing after audio-only add. All browsers (FF, Chrome, Safari).

9. Tom 25 November 2014 at 9:43 pm #

Video freezes at 4 seconds to go in the ad.

10. Tay Little 26 November 2014 at 5:00 pm #

Love the videos, but the hosting site has been so terrible as of late I’m getting close to stop trying.

11. RM2Ride 26 November 2014 at 7:58 pm #

Nice recap – unbelievable depth and breadth of knowledge. Thanks for this feature! (Nice balance of female/male coverage, as well!)

12. dylan 27 November 2014 at 4:20 pm #

having same problem with safari. also doesn’t play on my work PC

13. dave 29 November 2014 at 8:29 am #

to those having playback issues, in Safari/Chrome try switching to the HTML5 native player by disabling Flash and reloading the page.

14. ben 30 November 2014 at 9:44 am #

watching in incognito mode seems to fix the advert hangup for me…. It happened again on the latest week in bike too. MacOSX using Google Chrome.

15. Wheelsucker 30 November 2014 at 6:13 pm #

Really? Dr. Strangelove???

16. Emil Evans 4 December 2014 at 2:16 am #

Cosmo! Mind bringing all your shows back on youtube or a platform where your videos might load faster? I’m a keen viewer from Malaysia and I’m not sure if it’s just me but all of your videos load mightily slow on the current platform.

17. troy 4 December 2014 at 11:02 am #

yea dude, can’t watch on safari or chrome because of Australian ad… Can you upload to youtube?

18. DJ 10 December 2014 at 2:35 pm #

Very enjoyable. One thing you didn’t mention but probably know – Hansen makes his own shoes 😉

19. jabrik 7 February 2015 at 10:12 am #

i like your video about how the race was won, but it seems you’re not uploading again in youtube, so i surf to this website, but i can’t even load the video, i tried to pause my ads block still can’t watch it.. i really suggest you to upload again in youtube.. sorry bad english

1. 6 STORIES ABOUT CYCLING THIS WEEK – 12/5/14 | In The Know Cycling - 5 December 2014

[…] Looking back story 2 – One of the most entertaining video analysts, Cyclocosm’s Cosmo Catalano highlights the winners of the past season. […]